A visit to the second largest butterfly house in Germany is certainly one of the highlights of a Mainau day out. Relish the tropical feeling as you walk through the exotic landscape of unique vegetation.
Observe and admire approx. 120 different species of free flying tropical butterflies from Africa, Asia, Central and South America in the Butterfly House, kept at approx. 90% humidity and temperatures between 25 and 30°C. At certain times it is also possible to see moths with a wingspan of up to 30 cm. 70% of the butterflies come directly from special breeding farms in their country of origin .They arrive every week on Mainau Island as pupae. The other 30% breed and lay eggs on their respective forage plants in the Butterfly House. The entire lifecycle from egg to caterpillar (lava) and chrysalis (pupa) to adult butterfly can be observed here.
The shop sells lots of Mainau souvenirs. Coffee, ice-cream and drinks are available all year from the bistro and also a selection of small snacks during the season.